Become a Billet Family!
Become a Billet Family!
The Saanich JR Braves are reaching out to all Minor Hockey families to request your help to place our boys with families that have a passion for hockey and that may be interested in billeting for the 2016-17 season.
The hockey club greatly values the billet families that host the Saanich JR Braves players when they are away from their homes during the hockey season. Without the help of billet families, the players would not be able to play for the team. Billet’s are invaluable to the Saanich JR Braves and we appreciate all of their hard work. Becoming a Billet Family have been a long standing tradition in Junior Hockey. Hosting a player in your home gives opportunities to junior hockey players that range in age from 16 – 20 years-old to compete at the highest level possible. While pursuing these hockey opportunities, many players are also completing high school, enrolled in post-secondary education or working part-time jobs.
As a Billet Family you will provide:
- A clean, smoke-free, welcoming home that a player will feel comfortable in
- A private room with a bed and good mattress
- A private desk/workspace for homework
- Nutritious meals and snacks
- Support of team rule enforcement including curfew, community engagement, academic standards, etc.
- The same guidance and attention you would want for your own children (given they were in the same situation)
- Must follow all team and host family house rules and show respect for other host family members
- Must take care of their room, including keeping it clean and doing their own laundry
- Transportation to and from practices and home games unless other arrangements have been made with the host family
- If not attending classes, players are encouraged to seek part-time employment and/or be involved in the community
Billet families also serve as authority figures, role models and extended family to their assigned player(s). While hosts receive a monetary honorarium to help off-set some of the costs, the true rewards are in the lasting relationships that are developed. If you are chosen to become a part of our family, further details and information will be provided to you in our “Parent and Player Information Package”.
Note: All successful applicants will be subject to a Criminal Record Check.
If you are interested in becoming a billet family or require further information, please contact the Saanich JR Braves Billet Coordinator.